Monday, May 3, 2010

Judy Pfaff, Pierre Huyghe

Week 8 Day 1: Judy Pfaff and Pierre Huyghe

Again this morning in class we got to see more documentaries for "art 21" on artist. We enjoyed 4 artists, Judy Pfaff, Pierre Huyghe, Nancy Spero, and Jenny Holzer. Although I was inspired by all of them in different ways, the two who stuck out the most to me were Judy Pfaff and Pierre Huyghe.It stunned me to see the magnitude Judy Pfaff works in. She talked about how she originally thought she was going to be a painter and not be a sculptor. That was until she found that sculpting works better with they way she thinks and the way she is. She discussed how she let her life influence her art, and this particular exhibit was dealing with the death of her mother and friends in the past year. So her primary goal for the exhibit was emotion. She created great contrast using blacks and whites ( not bottom right picture, that is a different exhibit) in a balance like life and the loss. Pfaff said "I am kind of very romantic" and that she works towards other aspects in her art. She also mentioned how she will beguin with one idea and admits that she will always change her mind. I found these things further encouragement in my own endeavors because I feel very similarly towards art.









Although I wasn't moved one way or another by Pierre Huyghe. I didn't like his work and I didn't dislike his work I found what he did was inspirational."I need to create a world" Huyghe said. To create his worlds Huyghe did many different things, from working in video, in installation, performance that was opera like, to puppetry. His work was wrapped around time and setting, and he used many different medias to tell his message within time and setting. Some of his work was explained to the viewer as they watched or looked at his work, others allowed the viewer to bring their own thoughts into the artwork, asking themselves questions and interpreting to their desires. He created his world and documented his creation, the perfect example of time based art. Even though I am not swayed either way by his art, I did find this wisdom profound and meaningful. In discussing time, Pierre talked how with more artist, the exhibition was the end. To work for a period of time, and the exhibit shows their work at the end. He views an Exhibition as a start, a starting point for somthing new. It's appealing to see an artist dipping his fingers into many different medias instead of setteling on one thing. He is not a video artist, sculpture, or storyteller...he is all and more. It is appealing to a student like myself to see I do not have to choose one thing...I can explore and try something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment