Monday, May 24, 2010

Creating my sculpture final



Week 11 Day 1: Creating my sculpture final


For the past few weeks I have been creating my sculpture final. I proposed to my class a sculpture of a trash can covered with Magazine adds and a mannequin inside of it also covered in magazine adds.


The piece would represent how I personally view the pressures and the standards of beauty to be a load of trash. Not that I think models are trash, but what the public and what makes money views as beauty is trash. Just as art is subjective, so should beauty. Beauty is all around and in many different forms, magazine adds are drawing a line around American culture's mind limiting what we will see as beautiful or not. Even though this is my main objective, I want this sculpture to still be open for interpretation, allowing the viewer to bring their own ideas and meanings to the piece.


I used Mod Podge to glue the magazine pages to the trash can and the mannequin. I also drew a black bar over the eyes of the models to hide their identity because I know it is not the model's fault, it is the media's and the public's fault that beauty is set at the standard it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment