Monday, March 29, 2010

William Kentridge

Week 3 Day 1: William Kentridge



"What hasn't this man done?"

I was dumb founded when selecting William Kentridge who I wanted to do research on. Originally I thought his form of animation was fascinating and wanted to learn more about his charcoal drawings and how they develop into films. Now as I continue to read I find Kentridge has filled his life with many creative projects.


In 1955 William Kentridge was born in Johannesburg, South Africa. He earned his Bachelor degree in Politics and African Studies at the University of Witwatersrand located in Johannesburg, South Africa. Then trying his (very successful) hand to visual arts he attended Johannesburg Art Foundation. Later in the early 1980's he traveled to Paris, France where he studied mime and theatre at L'Ecole Internationale de Theatre Jacques Lecoq. Using everything he has learned Kentridge has applied Politics into his art, making statements in animation, performance, drawings and more.


In 1998 Kentridge staged his first opera, and not just any opera, a highly detailed puppet opera. Telling the story of The Return of Ulysses. One of his most recent projects was The Magic Flute (Link )featured at Broooklyn's Academy of Music in 2007. Kentridge was not only the director, but he also designed costumes and sets for the performance.
I would have to say that one of my personal favorites of his animation would be Automatic Writing (Link). Although this film's narrative in not linear, I appreciate how it's interactive for the viewer, allowing the viewer to choose the story. There is no doubt in my mind that Kentridge will give us more years of creativity and performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment